TCPalm: Eighth Brightline fatality is 29-year-old man, according to Boynton Beach police
Posted on June 21, 2018
By: Lisa Broadt, Treasure Coast Newspapers
Police are still working to notify relatives of the 29-year-old man struck and killed by a Brightline train Wednesday night, according to Boynton Beach police.
The incident, which occurred between East Gateway Boulevard and Miner Road, north of downtown Boynton Beach, is a suspected suicide, spokeswoman Stephanie Slater said Thursday.
Preliminary police investigation shows the man ran in front of a northbound train at about 6:30 p.m. and was fatally struck, Slater said.
Brightline officials declined to comment.
It's the eighth Brightline fatality since the passenger railroad began test runs in July and the sixth since it began introductory West Palm Beach-to-Fort Lauderdale service earlier this year.
Boynton Beach has seen seven fatalities on the Florida East Coast Railway tracks since 2015: four by Brightline passenger trains and three by Florida East Coast freight trains — the most fatalities in any city along the corridor in that time period, police and Federal Railroad Administration reports indicate…